Sunday, November 23, 2008

Who Am I? can you guess who it is?

Did you ever know a person who can speak different languages and then accidentally say the wrong meaning of a phrase to a stranger? Unfortunately, that is what happened to poor Isabella. Isabella’s mom gave her a trip to Paris, France as a Christmas gift, and when she first got to France, she went up to a resident who lived in France, and tried to ask where her hotel was, but instead she ended up saying, “I think your shirt is ugly.” Isabella ran away from the guy. She just started running, and eventually she found her hotel.
When she got into the hotel, she checked into her room, and called her mom. She picked up the phone and dialed her home phone number. When her mother Elizabetha picked up the phone, she said, “What’s the matter sweetheart?”
Isabella replied, “I went up to someone who lives here and tried to ask him where my hotel was, but I ended up saying your shirt is ugly.”
“Don’t worry about it sweetheart,” said Elizabetha. “I am sure he can see that you are a newcomer to the country and are not that great at speaking the language. Think about it, you have only been studying the language for about three years now, and you really shouldn’t be an expert at it yet. You are still learning.”
“I know, mother,” replied Isabella. “But what happens if he doesn’t think that way and he actually thought that I meant to insult him?”
“What did I say, Isabella?” replied Elizabetha questioningly.
“Okay mother,” said Isabella.
“Please just enjoy your stay while you are in Paris honey. This trip was not cheap, but it was worth it for you. Hopefully you learn some new things while you are here.” said Isabella’s mother.
“Okay mom. I will. I will talk to you later. I love you, and I will see you when I get home,” said Isabella.
“Okay sweetheart. I love you too. Bye,” said Elizabetha.
“Bye,” replied Isabella. She hung up the phone and went over to her bag and unpacked her things. Once she was all unpacked, she went to explore the hotel. While she was exploring, she discovered the gift shop, where she found and purchased a book that would help newcomers learn the language easily. After she purchased the book, she went back up to her room and she read through the book. That night as Isabella was sleeping, all that was going through her head was the flashback of her accidentally saying the wrong phrase to the French resident. The next couple of days as Isabella was exploring Paris, she could not find the man she accidentally insulted. She really wanted to apologize to him, since now she knew from reading the book. Finally on her last day in Paris, she ran into him, and she apologized and told him what she was trying to actually say and he forgave her. Isabella was so happy he did, so she ran back to her hotel to call her mom. She picked up her phone and dialed home. Her mother picked up the phone.
“Hello?” asked Elizabetha.
“Hi mom,” replied Isabella.
“How is everything?” asked Isabella’s mom.
“Great!” replied Isabella. “The minute after I talked to you, I went to explore the hotel, and in the gift shop I found a book that would help me speak the language easier so I bought it and that night I read it.”
“That’s good,” said Elizabetha.
“Yeah, and it even helped me to apologize and tell the man that I accidentally insulted my first day here, what I was actually trying to say,” said Isabella
“I am so happy for you honey.” replied her mother.
“Well, I have to go pack for the flight home. I have so much to show and tell everybody.” said Isabella.
“Okay sweetheart. See you when you get home. Have a safe flight. I will meet you at the airport,” said Elizabetha.
“Okay mom, thanks and I love you too. Bye,” said Isabella.
“Bye,” said Elizabetha.
Isabella hung up the phone, packed up her luggage, checked out of the hotel, went to the airport and she was on her way home. She could not wait to tell her family and friends about what happened her first time and day in a new country.

No comments: